Thursday, March 12, 2009

I will let you down, I will make you hurt

I really don't feel like blogging right now, but I know I need to do it. Today I have been thinking about the problem of evil, which is a regular faith-challenger.

Yesterday, the dismembered body of a 30-something Hispanic man was found in four garbage bags in an alley only two blocks from our home--only meters from the park I take my daughters everyday in the summer. This is sick and disturbing and sad and even frightening.

Yesterday, also, a German teen killed 15 people, including himself in a school shooting and subsequent standoff with police, and a man in Alabama shot 10 people to death. There was even a three-month-old baby who was shot but will probably survive. How do we process these things and not feel confused, sick, and resentful? All I can think about is my beautiful, perfect young daughters sleeping in the room next to me, only feet away.

How do I raise these children and believe in God in a world where these things happen? In many ways, it is the only thing I can do--to have faith in something greater amid such sickness. But that still doesn't answer the question of why those things must happen in the first place. Believing in God to make it all mean something seems like an easy way out of the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment