Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Go get me my pistol, babe

I went running with my friend this morning (and all four of our kids in two jogging strollers), so I am feeling good. It's amazing what the outdoors and a good dose of happy hormones can do for the human psyche.

While jogging and amid many heaving breaths for air, I was telling my friend about my mom's family. It is her father who is dying, and she has three siblings and a somewhat crazy, probably Borderline mother (my grandmother). My mom's youngest sister has devoted her life to money and being beautiful. She was a small-time model for a while, and she is tall and thin and dark and quite pretty, especially after the nose and boob jobs. She used to have a massive Greek shnoz. My mom has a smaller one, which I find very unique and beautiful, but apparently, my aunt thought hers needed to go.

My aunt did not have any kids because she didn't want any and got married to a guy named "Rich" a few years ago, in part because of his name. She and my mom have since had a falling out. And my aunt, let's call her Sue, has still not visited her father, my grandfather, in the hospital, even though he was given 5-10 days to live about a month ago. How insane is that? We aren't sure if it is because she is trying to avoid my mom, who lives in the same town as my grandparents, or if it is because she is angry at my grandparents because of some money she thinks they should have given her. Either way, she has absolutely no excuse. She has limitless funds, a job she does from home, and no kids to be worried about. It doesn't make sense. This same aunt apparently has complained in the past about how my grandparents have given so much of their money away "to people they don't even know," namely poor children they have created sponsorship programs for in developing countries via their mission organization. Who says that kind of thing!?

So I mentioned to my friend, while we were jogging, that Aunt Sue is a good example of what happens when you worry too much about money and your looks. My friend agreed that my aunt seems extremely greedy and selfish, but she asked what is so wrong about caring about money and looks, which made me think about my comment more. I guess it isn't wrong to care about those things, but there needs to be a balance.

But actually, I kind of do think those things are shallow things to care about, even though I worry about them myself, to my shame. In and of themselves, they are not meaningful. Money can be great and useful and save lives, and taking care of yourself physically is healthy and good for your self-esteem. I don't know. I just want to be a hermit. With my daughters and husband and garden right outside of our little hermit cave.

No comments:

Post a Comment